Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I quit my job.

For any of you who have been following my ever-growing hatred for my current job I am proud to announce I am finally leaving the evil empire. After three and a half years of employment and two and a half years of hatred I am finally leaving this place.

When I announced my resignation people were genuinely shocked. I think the shock wasn't from the fact that I was leaving, but over the fact that someone actually had the balls to leave the company. No one leaves this company. NO ONE. Every time I told someone outside the company that I was leaving I got the same response, "...but you work for XXXXX company, no one leaves." Yup, I know. Let me just give you an example. Out of the 25 or so finance people that I work closely with I am one of 2 people under the age of 45. And out of those 20 people, 18 of them have been here for 20+ years. 20+ years at the same company. Granted, they have had several different jobs, but still, it's pretty insane. All the people here are all about job security and do not care about the opportunities that are out there. Oh well, their loss I guess.

2 comments:

Butrfly Garden said...

Heya shaggy! :) Remember me?

I was peeking on the knot today and saw you posted and found your blog. :)

I hope that was a good move for you - it seems a little crazy to do right now with the job market like it is, but I think it's important to make sure you're happy with what you do for a living. I said for years that I was going to leave my company. When I got laid off, I cried. A lot. But only because of the money. I have been SO happy not having to go there every damn day. It's been worth the extra work I've had to do to stay afloat.

Anyway, hope things are going well for you! Take care!

Amy (butrfly)

man-bear-pig said...

Hey butrfly, I do remember you. What's going on? How's the married life? I was unhappy with my job for so long and I am so happy to be out of it. I moved to a great company and so far, everything seems to be great. As weird as it was I felt bad leaving there because I left a lot of people hanging and they still haven't hired someone to do my job so they're screwed more or less.

thanks for checking up--