Friday, September 26, 2008

BRACES. At 25? Fuck me!

I have perfectly straight teeth. So I guess I would consider myself lucky for never having to make a visit to the orthodontist and pay >$7000 in order to get these so-called perfectly-straight-teeth.

A few months ago I went to my normal dentist and he informed me I had an impacted canine. I won't go into detail about this b/c unless you've had this it's too confusing to explain correctly. Anyway, I knew about this impacted canine my whole life, but didn't exactly think it would become a problem until way later in life. Neither did my dentist.

He referred me to an oral surgeon and an orthodontist to get this issue taken care of. I'll skip most of the details and go straight to the orthodontist part. He had this awesome incredible plan which involved putting this metal contraption into my mouth (kinda like a retainer you can't take out) and connecting a little chain to the impacted tooth up in my gums, and gradually pulling the impacted tooth down into it's place in my mouth. He put a fake tooth in the spot where the baby tooth was so I didn't look like I was missing a tooth. GOOD PLAN! He also informed me that once the tooth was pulled down enough he would have to put braces on me. No big deal, this wasn't supposed to happen for a long time. (i.e. until AFTER the wedding)

Fast forward to yesterday when I went for my every 3 week tightening and x-ray visit. The ortho ripped the metal contraption thing out of my mouth without telling me what he was doing. Mind you, this thing was cemented to my teeth. Came out just fine with just a little bit of pain. He took an x-ray and informed me that the metal contraption has done all it needs to do so it's already time for the next step. BRACES.

BRACES at 25 years old. Yes, I understand that there are a bunch of older people with braces. I never thought I would be one of them, especially when I hit the jackpot as far as relatively perfect teeth go.

And never in a million years did I think my mouth was going to hurt as bad as it does this morning. It hurt to eat toast. Effin TOAST! I want to down a bottle of prescription pain killers and vodka and take a nap.

Fuck me.

1 comment:

kPg said...

My dentist just told me that I have an impacted tooth, and it has to be taken out via surgery. It's kinda scary, don't you think? And it's very expensive. I wrote about it in my blog, please check it out. Thanks!